Having clarity is important to achieving goals and attaining any significant measure of success. With clear goals, you know what you want and how to go about getting there.
But what if you’re not feeling much clarity? What if you can’t make up your mind about what path you should choose, and your decision-making seems muddled? This is actually a very common challenge and happens to the best of us from time to time.
Fortunately, moving from a sense of uncertainty into full clarity isn’t particularly difficult.
All you need to do is take few simple actions, and clarity will follow:
1. Take responsibility. The power in taking full responsibility for anything is that you give yourself the power to change it. If you believe that something is inside of your control, you can always find a way to have what you want. You’ll never be stuck.
- Clarity is something that you ultimately create, not something that happens to you. If you’re currently not as well practiced at creating clarity as you would like, resolve that you’re going to work on this.
- Start by making a decision and then sticking with it until success is achieved. Since you get better at making decisions by being aware of your priorities, you may need to spend some time contemplating what’s most important to you.
2. Use your past. Your past is a tool that’s always available. Your level of clarity hasn’t always been constant. There have been times in your life when things seemed much clearer than they are right now. There have also been times when you felt more uncertain.
3. Visualize. You may think that things have to be a certain way before you can feel clear. Having everything “just so” can make focusing easier. However, even when things aren’t perfect, you can still choose to make a decision and stick with it.
- Instead of waiting for the ideal circumstances, visualize what your life would be like if they were in place. What would you know that you don’t know right now? How would you feel? Visualization can help you make decisions as though things are actually already the way you want them to be.
4. Write down your goals and review them. Having a written objective will help you stay clear. First of all, you have to make some decisions to even have a goal in the first place. Second, by reviewing that goal every day, you’ll keep reinforcing that objective. As you do this work, your clarity will become a little greater each day.
- Reviewing your goals first thing in the morning and last thing at night should work well for you.
5. Believe that an okay goal is better than no goal. Many people get stuck making a goal because they believe they have to come up with the perfect goal. Nothing could be further from the truth. Don’t spend too much time or energy creating the goal. Just pick something that feels good to you and start working on it.
6. Focus on one project at a time. Having a high level of clarity is easier if you’re only focusing on one thing at time. After you’ve achieved several goals, then you can try working on several goals simultaneously. Avoid spreading yourself too thin, especially at first.
As you can see, you can do many things to increase your level of clarity. The best news is that you don’t have to wait; you can get started today. As you increase your clarity, your life will seem easier and easier. Before you know it, you’ll achieve goals you never even thought you could set for yourself. Now that’s progress!