There are times in life when something bad happens to create the most profound darkness you’ve ever experienced. It takes a toll on you, and you feel like you’ll never overcome it. But there’s also the belief that the only way to experience true joy is to first experience darkness.
These emotions and experiences from opposite ends of the spectrum work hand in hand to give you real appreciation of the positive side of life. But just how does one overcome darkness and replace it with joy when the darkness seems unrelenting?
The key is to identify other things that bring you joy and peace, and infiltrate your dark space with these things.
Strategies like these can help you conquer the darkness in your life:
1. Consume yourself with a new activity. There are likely many activities that you’ve never tried, but which could bring you immense pleasure! Sometimes doing something new is what you need to take your mind off the negative state you’re living in and find joy in something unexpected.
- Try your hand at a new hobby that’s time-consuming and enjoyable.
- Live on the edge – or as close to it as you can – by doing something exhilarating. Skydiving and bungee jumping are great examples. So is going on a safari in the jungles of South Africa!
2. Enjoy the company of others. Spending time with family and friends is another great way to rehabilitate your state of mind and truly experience joy. Remember, they love you unconditionally and can offer as much support as you need. Hang out with them more than normal; you’ll start to experience healing from all that positive energy around you.
- Take a family vacation to somewhere you’ve never been before.
- Plan a weekend where you and your friends can make wonderful new memories.
3. Hold firm to your faith. It’s very likely that your faith is what has brought you through the darkness thus far. Your faith in the Creator’s ability to sustain you should not be overlooked. If you believe the Creator has kept you going through the worst moments of your life, there’s no reason to think you’ll be alone through the rest of it!
4. Think with your mind, not your emotions. Make a conscious effort to separate thinking and reasoning from feeling. Otherwise, you’re likely to start believing that nothing can ever work out.
- Apply reasoning to the circumstances which led to your darkness, and use the same reasoning to get you to a brighter place.
You’ll start to feel yourself being lifted from the darkness if you allow yourself to practice things that bring you joy. It’s not always going to be an easy road, but you’ll be able to travel it if you commit to allowing outside influences to help turn things around for you.
Use these ideas to help you start thinking about the various things that you might enjoy. After all, there’s a world of joy waiting for you to experience! It’s up to you to choose that joy for your life!