Do you ever feel like you’re just going through the motions? One day bleeds into the next until years have passed, and you’re left wondering where the time went. Having passion and meaning in your life can break you out of your routine. You might be working hard right now, but are you excited and fulfilled?
Use these strategies to find more passion and create a life that fulfills you:
1. Determine what’s most important to you. Is it helping others or personal achievement? Does music move your soul? Do you love to compete? What brings you the most joy and happiness? Your passion in life is hidden in there somewhere. Can you find it?
2. Think short-term. What could you do right now that sounds exciting to you? While long-term goals can be more meaningful, it’s important to enjoy yourself in the short-term, too. Now might be the time to try skydiving or visiting New Orleans. Maybe it’s finally time to try out for the local theater.
3.Think long-term. Pursuits that are more meaningful are likely to require more time and energy. What do you want to do over the next 10+ years? If you could accomplish one thing before the end of your life, what would it be?
- Imagine your doctor just told you that you only have weeks left to live, what is the one thing you wish you had done?
4. How do you like to spend your free time now? If you have a few hours or a Saturday to yourself, how do you choose to spend it? Are you building a boat in your garage or writing a post for your blog? Your ideal life might include your current hobbies on a larger scale. Think about why you enjoy the hobbies you currently spend time on.
5. If you were retired, what would you like to do? If you had more resources and unlimited time each day, how would you choose to spend your time? Describe your perfect day.
6. Get out of your comfort zone. Most of us are limited by our fear of failure or a fear of the unknown. However, the most meaningful activities are most likely outside of your comfort zone. Be brave – explore all your opportunities.
7. Set a goal to find meaning in your life. If you can set a goal to lose 25 pounds, you can set a goal to create a more exciting life. Create a goal to find your life’s passion. Give yourself 30 days and spend a few minutes each morning and night on the task. Close your eyes and listen for the answer. Keep a running list and evaluate it at the end of the month.
8. Turn off the TV. It’s hard to live a meaningful life full of passion if you’re spending time watching TV. You can find something better to do. Go do it.
9. Do something new. If you’re stuck in a rut, the easiest way to shake up your thinking is to try a new activity. Take a salsa lesson or book a dinner cruise. New experiences help to make each day unique.
Humans have been searching for the meaning of life for millennia. While there isn’t a universal answer, it’s possible to find meaning in your own life. Avoid allowing your life to pass by without fully living it. Set a few goals and experience life outside your comfort zone. Find your passion and build your life around it.