Social media can add a lot to your life:
- It provides a way to share your gifts with the world. Social media can be a great way to share your music, art, photography, writing, or anything else you do well with the world. It’s a free way to market yourself and your gifts.
- You can stay in touch with friends and family. This is supposedly the whole point of social media. Your friends and family are never far away. You can stay on top of things even if you’re 10,000 miles away.
- You can meet new people. You can meet people from any country and culture. If you want a pen pal from Iceland or Zimbabwe, you’re in luck. If you like to travel, you can begin making friends in your destination country before you even set foot on the plane. It can also be a great way to meet people locally.
- You can speak to a very large audience. If you have ideas you want to spread and share, social media provides an effective platform to make your voice heard.
- You can make money via social media. There are a lot of people making money from social media, either directly or from marketing their business.
There are many disadvantages, too:
- You can feel inadequate. It’s easy to compare yourself to everyone else on social media. You see their fancy house, car, or new swimming pool and it’s natural to feel like you’re not doing well. Avoid comparisons!
- Social media isn’t always honest. Most people on social media are trying to make their lives look better than they really are. You might see your college friend with her seeming perfect family, marriage, job, and house on Facebook.
- The truth can be very different. She might be on the verge of divorce, hate her job, and be in danger of losing that house. But those aren’t the types of things people put on social media.
- It’s been said that social media is only good for two things: stalking people and showing off.