Do you want more out of life, but feel unsure about how to go about getting it? One way to get what you want is to use positive etiquette and manners during your social interactions as much as possible. Opportunities to fulfill some of your own needs are all around you, just waiting to be pursued.
Evaluate your behaviors and put these actions into play to get what you want:
1. Open doors for others. How many times have you been so distracted that you’ve forgotten to open the door for someone and let them to enter before you? If you give more to others, your feelings of gratitude will multiply.
- Investing time to do something kind for others will bring more fulfillment to your life.
2. Allow someone to go ahead of you in the line at the grocery store. We’ve all been there: you’ve got a cart full of stuff and you really want to get out of that place as soon as possible. Then, someone comes up behind you with only two or three items in their hands. How often do you say, “Go ahead in front of me”?
3. Use polite phrases and make eye contact. Each day, we come into contact with numerous individuals: waiters, service clerks, and receptionists, to name a few. How often do you truly take note of the various workers you encounter?
- Have you ever been guilty of being unable to recognize which waiter took your order in a restaurant?
- You can meet some interesting people by noticing those you interact with. Make eye contact with others and apply the simple rules of etiquette, like saying “please” and “thank you.”
4. Maintain a positive attitude when things go awry. There will be times when things progress differently than how you’d hoped or when you feel disappointed about something. How do you respond during those trying times?
- A common first response to a difficult situation is often irritation, frustration, or anger. If you can master the skill of staying positive through a tough situation, good things will come your way.
- If your eggs aren’t cooked how you ordered them or a service person confuses your order with someone else’s, keep a healthy attitude. It will make the day better for both of you.
5. Keep your eyes and ears open for networking opportunities and new business contacts. If you view each interaction with others as a possible business resource, the power of your etiquette skills grows.
6. Ask for others’ business cards as a way of providing yours. When you encounter others who are speaking about their work, show an interest and ask for their business card. You can then give them one of your cards at the same time.
You have various opportunities to show your manners. And when you practice positive etiquette with others, some great things are bound to happen to you. You’ll meet more people, widen your business network, and enjoy some fascinating experiences. Show your great manners to the world and get more of what you want in the process! Start practicing today!