There are likely times when you’re unhappy with who you are, what you’ve attained in life, or which path you’re taking. That’s because you’re human. Those sentiments affect all of us from time to time. Sure, there will be days when your best doesn’t seem good enough to you, but what if your best is really just fine?
Coming to terms with your true self can help you acknowledge the awesome person you really are. Your various characteristics combine to make something totally unique and special. No one else has your individual talents. No one else could ever take your unique place in this world.
Accepting yourself for who you truly are can also boost your confidence and help you take advantage of your innate skills for your own benefit and that of others as well.
Try these strategies to achieve contentment with the skin you’re in:
1. Know that you are special. It’s important that you look at the person you are as a beautiful creation. You weren’t made this way by mistake. Your beliefs, likes, and dislikes are all part of a magnificent design.
2. Look at the bright side. Often times, you probably feel that someone else’s situation is better than yours because they have more, seem to be happier, or appear better off than you. But if you take a moment to look at the circumstances of others who are “less blessed” than you are, you’ll realize that there is actually a bright side to your life.
- Do you know anyone who couldn’t find work for so long that they’ve given up on it?
- Is there anyone around you who’s suffering the pain of losing a loved one?
- When was the last time you noticed how many homeless people live under the freeway?
3. Consider your accomplishments. Throughout your life, you’ve probably achieved lots of things, both personally and professionally. Whether you accomplished a stronger bond with your parents, or completion of a project that won your workplace a new contract, those things all took place while you were in the skin you’re in today.
- Remember that the person who has those accomplishments is the true you – you did it with your own strength, abilities and sensibilities.
- You’re a winner in your own right by merit of what you’ve accomplished, and no one can take those victories away from you.
4. Avoid underestimating yourself. One important factor that may be causing you to feel less than happy with who you are and where you are in life is the fact that you may be underestimating yourself. It’s possible that you don’t have what you want because you haven’t really tried to get it!
- Instead of wishing you had what somebody else has, why not put some thought into how you can achieve it for yourself? Make a detailed plan of achievable steps to get what you want.
- Stop and consider that there’s really nothing separating you from your goals because you have what it takes to work towards it.
You were uniquely created with the talents and skills to have a fulfilling life. However, remember that what you put in is also what you get out. Make the life for yourself that only you can design and achieve!