A jam-packed existence is the result of living in the twenty-first century. You feel compelled to be as efficient as possible at work, home, and in your social life. Yet, these same endeavors can also wreak havoc on your emotions.
How can you take care of your mental state as you strive to live your best life?
Use these strategies to ensure your emotional self is well-cared-for:
1. Acknowledge your feelings each day. Something as simple as asking yourself, “How do I feel today” can go a long way toward emotional self-care.
- Doing this daily reflection shows you’re aware of your feelings and also indicates you see them as important. Performing a feelings-check ensures you remain in effective control of your emotions.
- There will be fewer incidents of flying off the handle, making sarcastic remarks, or getting annoyed and showing it.
- Stay on top of your feelings to enjoy a more fulfilling life.
2. Speak up for yourself when necessary. When you feel you’ve been wronged or misunderstood, simply state your feelings and what you’d like to see happen.
- For example, “I think my remark yesterday about not wanting to drive the four of us on the shopping trip wasn’t clear. What I meant to say was my car will only hold one other person, so I’m unable to accommodate 3 riders. Can you drive instead?”
- When you speak up for yourself, you show yourself that what you think and feel is important enough to be noticed and discussed with those around you.
3. Stay tuned in to close relationships. One thing to avoid is having relationships filled with angst, disappointment, and anger. You can do this by staying in touch with your partner and others you have close relationships with.
- If the relationship is important to you, it’s worth your time and effort to know what’s going on emotionally with the other person. Plus, your emotional life will be more satisfying and peaceful when you do.
4. Have some fun each day. When you smile and enjoy life, the benefits to your emotional life are great. Happiness and levity are good for the soul. Enjoy at least some fun each day.
- Engage in your favorite hobbies or tell jokes with your partner.
- Have a chat session with your best friend on the phone.
- Play cards with your neighbors or invite your buddies over and order out.
5. Talk out loud about what troubles you. Whenever you have negative, nagging feelings, they can weigh you down emotionally. Try not to get to the point where you begin feeling consistently upset or acting out emotionally with others.
- Speak to somebody about those challenging feelings. It can be a close friend, your partner, or even a professional if you wish.
6. Ensure your work is as low-stress as possible. You have a responsibility to yourself to take whatever steps necessary to adjust your work load, due dates, or other challenges to reduce job stress.
7. Trim negative relationships from your life. Because relationships can be so paramount to your existence, it’s wise to ensure they are each as positive and supportive as possible. It can help to occasionally weed out those who stunt our emotional growth or detract from our emotional health.
You’re life is a blessing. Enjoy it to its fullest by taking excellent care of yourself emotionally as well as physically. Use these ideas to experience the enriched existence you desire.