There are a lot of words in the English language that you don’t know. Unabridged dictionaries contain over 400,000 words. Experts estimate that are as many as 800,000 to even 1 million words in English!
Sadly, the average college graduate only knows anywhere from 20,000 to 35,000 words, depending on whose numbers you believe. That’s less than 10% of the language!
Imagine how much you’d impress your friends if you knew a few more words. Not only that, but with a larger vocabulary, your exact meanings of whatever you’re talking about will be clearer. Your feelings and opinions will be better understood. Learning new words isn’t easy, especially if you don’t see or hear them regularly. But you can successfully increase your vocabulary if you choose.
Try these techniques to increase your vocabulary:
- Find the right word lists. Given that there are over 900,000 words you don’t know, which words are you going to learn? There’s little value in learning words that no one else knows, because no one will understand what you’re saying! Try these ideas:
- Word lists that are recommended for standardized tests like the ACT, SAT, and GRE are a great place to start.
- Frequency word lists. This is a list of words in order of frequency in which they’re used. Start at the beginning and scan down until you find a word that you’re not completely familiar with. Begin making your own list.
- Anytime you find a word you don’t understand, write it down and make a point to look it up.
- Twenty-five words might not sound like a lot, but it’s well over a thousand words a year.
- Carry your list of words with you. Whenever you have a few spare minutes, pull out your list and put in a little work.
Be a hit at dinner parties with your fancy vocabulary! Increasing your vocabulary will enable you to communicate more effectively and make more challenging reading materials more accessible.
You might even find the process of learning new words enjoyable. Boost your vocabulary in your spare time and you’ll enjoy the results. Not only will your vocabulary increases but so will your self-esteem and your IQ.
If you have any questions or believe that I could help in any way please don’t hesitate to contact me at TriStarKarate.com or you can always reach me at 815-932-5425.