Poor self-esteem and a lack of self-confidence can be just as damaging to our lives as being overconfident or arrogant. Do you harbor insecurities about your true abilities and worth? If so, this doubt is holding you back from reaching your full potential.
Luckily, you don’t have to let fear keep you from achieving your dreams and ambitions in life. There are steps you can take that will help you build your confidence, face your fears, and become free of self-doubt.
Try these tips to erase your self-doubt, gain confidence, and succeed:
- Reflect on your past success. It’s natural to feel a bit nervous if you’ve just been given a new task or responsibility. If you start to doubt your abilities, reflect on your past achievements and feel confident that your prior successes will carry over into this new area.
- Even if you have some lingering doubts, be confident with the knowledge that you wouldn’t be in this new position if others didn’t think you were up to the challenge.
- Seeking additional skill training in an area that matches or compliments your new duties can give you confidence in your new role.
- Be willing to ask others for advice and guidance as you adjust to your new role. Their feedback can help you increase your skills and boost your self-esteem.
- Learn to change your negative self-talk into positive affirmations. Our brains are constantly working to fulfill our inner thoughts and beliefs. When you’re overwhelmed with self-doubt, chances are that you’re subconsciously listening to negative self-talk from your brain.
- Take control of your inner voice and turn a negative into a positive by replacing your doubts with positive affirmations!
- Rather than focusing on your limitations, focus on what you can do. Capitalize on your strengths and write out 10 statements that affirm who you are at the core of your being. Then record how your strength and abilities will help you achieve your task or goal.
- Start each day by repeating your daily affirmations. Then, repeat them whenever you start to worry or feel self-doubt.
- Gain perspective by finding cheerleaders, mentors, and other guides. Do you have a difficult time maintaining a positive sense of self-worth? It’s critical that you take time to connect and build relationships with those that build you up, rather than tear you down.
- Seek out mentors for your personal and professional life that can give you an unbiased opinion on what you’re doing well in various areas. They can also provide insight on what you could change to move forward.
- Build relationships with friends and family members that encourage and rejuvenate you with their positive energy. Minimize contact with those who are overly critical, jealous, or negative. They just drain your energy and bring you down.
- By surrounding yourself with positive individuals, you’ll receive the boost of energy and confidence you need to power through your moments of self-doubt. You’ll then begin to achieve your goals and dreams, rather than holding yourself back!
Everyone faces self-doubt and insecurities from time to time. Practicing these tips can help you defeat self-doubt once and for all.