Loneliness is one of the most common human emotions. It’s even possible to feel lonely while surrounded by a large group of people. Loneliness isn’t necessarily the absence of people in your life. It can be due to a lack of meaningful relationships.
Loneliness isn’t entirely within our control, but there is a lot that each of us can do to tilt the odds in our favor. You don’t have to stay lonely if you’re willing to put in the effort.
Re-energize your social life and your relationships with these strategies:
- Understand when you feel lonely. Is it after work? On the weekends? During holidays? What is the nature of your loneliness? Are you lonely for someone to sit on the couch and watch TV with you? Or are you lonely for someone that you can go out shopping and share lunch with?
Find places you can connect with others. There are people all around you. You probably have neighbors, co-workers, former friends, current friends, and even family members that live nearby.
- The internet is also a spectacular resource if you’re looking to connect with others. Consider groups, forums, and find meetup opportunities.
- A pet can be a great companion. A pet might seem like poor companionship compared to a person, but many people prefer their pets to other people! Pets require less attention than a child, and the right pet will always be glad to see you.
- It doesn’t matter how much life is beating you down, your pet will always love you just the same.
- Take a greater interest in the lives of others and be willing to share more of your own life. You might just need to spend more time with the current crop of friends you already have.
- You will also find that strengthening your current friendships will bring you into contact with more people. You might find that you like the friends of your friends more than you like your friends!
- You could learn a foreign language or to play an instrument.
- You could read a book or even write a book!
- You can watch whatever you want on TV without having to worry about another person’s viewing preferences.
- Nothing will happen until you take control of your social life and get out the front door. The world is waiting for you.
A little loneliness now and then is par for the course. But, if you’re lonely on a regular basis, do what you can to enhance your social life and current relationships.
There are many lonely people in the world just waiting for someone like you to reach out to them. Be the one to take the initiative. You’ll be glad you did.
And lastly, if you have any questions or believe that I could help in any way please don’t hesitate to contact me at TriStarKarate.com or you can always reach me at 815-932-5425.