It’s not always easy to find happiness, but there are things we do to make happiness even more unlikely to occur in our lives. Happiness isn’t just about doing the right things. Happiness is also about not doing the wrong things. You might not even realize the things you’re doing to sabotage your chances for happiness.
Avoid these things that can keep happiness away:
- Complaining. Complaining to yourself and others isn’t going to get you anywhere. It wastes your time and puts your mind into a negative state. How is that helpful?
- If you can resolve the issue, there’s no reason to complain.
- If you can’t resolve the issue, why waste your time and energy complaining?
- Unrealistic goals. Your mother told you that you could be anything. She lied, because she loves you. It’s too late to become an astronaut or to play professional tennis. The odds of becoming a billionaire? Let’s just say the odds aren’t in your favor. You’re not likely to lose 50 pounds this month either.
- Do yourself a favor and set reasonable goals you can achieve in the next 2-3 months. You can then set a more challenging goal.
- Perfection. You’ll never have the perfect day or do anything perfectly. It’s not easy to be happy when you fail 100% of the time. Set your sights on consistent improvement. This is an achievable goal, and you’ll feel great about yourself.
- The past. Learn what you can from your past and push forward. The past only exists in your mind. No one else cares, and there’s no good reason why you should either. Just let it go.
- Comfort. If you need to be comfortable all of the time, you’ll never be happy. If one of your main priorities in life is to be comfortable, happiness will be elusive. Growth occurs during times of discomfort. Personal growth is an important part of happiness.
- The need to impress others. We spend far too much time worrying what others think about our clothes, car, job, and so on. Worrying about something you can’t control is a recipe for an emotional disaster.
- Negative self-talk. If you had someone in your life that just insulted, doubted, and undermined you all day long, how do you think that would impact you? You might have a person like that in your life and not even realize it. It’s you! Think about how you talk to yourself.
- Negative people. The quality of people in your life has an impact on your happiness. Seek out positive people that support you. At the very least, only include people in your life that don’t sabotage you or make you unhappy. You know you have at least one right now. Why?
- Resistance to change. Life is full of change. To make progress, it’s important to try out new hobbies and to take a chance on a new job. Change is coming whether you want it or not. Your kids will move away. A friend will pass away. You’ll grow old. Change is one of the few constants in life.
There are habits that make happiness less likely to happen in your life. It’s possible you’re sabotaging your chances for happiness. Instead of looking to do more, perhaps you should consider doing fewer of these negative things.
How happy are you? Avoid these nine things for a month and then see if you feel happier. If fact come in and surround yourself with our positive staff and members here. Give karate a try. Sometimes all you need is a change in your environment to change your outlook. CLICK HERE to see the different programs we have to offer.