Most of us never reach of level of accomplishment that we dream of, mainly because of “small” thinking.
Thinking big requires thick skin. If your plans are significant, plenty of people will do and say little things that can be discouraging. The biggest achievers have to face this challenge all the time. Learn to ignore it or consider keeping your plans to yourself.
If you want to think big, try these tips:
1. Consider what will happen if you don’t think big. You’ll regret the things you didn’t do far more than the things that didn’t work out. So take a few minutes and imagine how you’ll feel if you never even try. Think about how you’ll feel 10 years from now. Sometimes pain is the greatest motivator. How much pain will you feel if you don’t take action today?
2. Be brave enough to let your creativity shine. You’re more creative than you realize. Just watch a child play by himself. You still have that ability to create with your mind. But if you’re like most adults, you’ve learned to stifle or ignore it. It might be your greatest strength. Let it out.
3. Stretch beyond your comfort zone. If you’re not making yourself at least a little uncomfortable, you’re not thinking big. If something seems comfortable to you, you’re probably already doing it. If you’re already doing it, it’s not going to take you to the next level.
- Learning to deal with discomfort is an important part of achieving anything new. If you have enough motivation, anything is possible. Learning to lower your discomfort through healthy means is a valuable skill.
4. It’s easier than it has ever been. The Internet and other forms of mass communication have made it easier to go global than ever before. All that’s required is success on a local level. That success can then be propagated to other places. Think about how difficult it would’ve been to spread your ideas to other countries 50 years ago.
5. Use your emotions as a guide. You’ll know you’re on to something when you’re overwhelmed with positive emotion. Keep thinking big until you come up with an idea that truly moves you. Then keep thinking and see if you can come up with something even better.
- If you’re like most adults, you’ve become too logical and practical. But you have more capability to do the things that truly excite you than you realize. What do you really want to do? What excites you?
6. Spend time each day thinking big thoughts. Make it a habit to spend a few minutes each day coming up with great ideas. If you already have your great idea, spend the time developing ways to make it a reality. Keep improving your plan.
- Make it a part of your daily routine. One possibility is to go to bed earlier and spend 30 minutes letting your imagination run wild before you sleep.
Most of us think too small. We underestimate ourselves. We worry about failure. We worry about being too successful. But the world needs your big ideas, and you must think big to realize your ultimate potential for your own sake, too.
Think big and have a life that’s exciting and fruitful. Think big and you’ll reach the end of your life free of regrets.