We can often trace the greatest challenges in our life to just a couple of poor decisions. Effective decisions require clear thinking and accurate perceptions of the situation and how the world works. It’s easy to allow mental errors to lead to making a poor choice.
It’s not always easy to make a wise decision, but there are things we can do to increase our odds.
Consider these mental errors that can degrade your ability to make a wise decision:
- Failing to consider the long-term implications. Short-term thinking can lead to long-term challenges. Many of us focus more on the short-term than the long-term when making decisions. We choose the yummiest food to eat or the most enjoyable way to spend the next hour.
- In most cases, we are better served by considering the long-term implications of our decisions.
- For example, many successful people failed to graduate from high school, but it would be wrong to assume that education isn’t helpful to success.
- Many people have put in the same time and effort as LeBron James or Michael Jordan but failed to become professional basketball players. Perhaps there are other reasons for their success that you haven’t considered. A different approach might work better for you.
- Some of the most successful people in our society have been successful in spite of their process. It’s not always easy to identify when this occurs.
- This happens frequently in new businesses. A brand-new business is highly motivated to grow. However, once it reaches a certain size the owner begins to worry more about protecting what the business has gained than he is in growing further.
- Those that believe that hard work is all that matters will ignore any other factors that contribute to success. They will also ignore the concepts of luck, talent, and mentorship.
- How are your current beliefs tainting your interpretation of your life and your environment?
- Everyone has things going on in their life that we don’t know about. It’s a mistake to assume that everything is about you.
Fewer unwise decisions results in greater success and happiness. We create many of the challenges we face in life by making poor decisions. Try to remove as many bad decisions from your future by understanding what leads to poor decision-making. Make great decisions and enjoy a great future!
I you need help or have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me. You can reach me at TriStarKarate.com or by calling 815-932-5425.